Re: Network card problem

Paul Deniston <pdeniston@mediaone.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to install via http w/ a cable modem.  My problem is that
> I've installed base using floppies but my card (a d-link DFE-530TX+) is
> not supported in the drivers disks.  My card did come w/ a disk w/ linux
> drivers on it, but I have to compile them.  I can't compile until I get
> the network up (so that I can get the right packages), but I can't get
> the network up until I compile the driver.
>
> Is there any way around this? Or, will some kind soul let me email them
> the .c file and make file for the drivers and send me back the .o file?
> If you'll compile for me, let me know and I'll send you the source.  I
> didn't want to waste BW by forcing everyone to take the files.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.

Paul,

I have done several of these "boot-floppy" installs off the Internet
recently and it works great here.  I understand your problem, and below
are some ideas for you to try.

1.  Be sure to check the BIOS setting for "PnP OS" and make sure it is
set to "no" or "off".  A PCI NIC often will not be recognized if this
setting is wrong.

2.  Install the kernel and drivers from floppies rather than off the
internet.  This means you should have the "rescue", "root" and all the
"driver-?" floppies available from the specific set of "boot floppies"
you selected (normal, compact, idepci, etc).

3.  Your NIC uses the rtl8139.o or rtl8139too.o module.  Neither of
these are compiled into the kernels provided, so you WILL have to insert
this module AFTER the drivers from the driver disks are installed.  Both
of these ARE available on the "drivers-XX" disks.  There is a screen
there for installing these extra modules...just go to the "Net" section
and select one of these.  I have heard of ONE case of a fairly recent
d-link DFE-530TX+ NIC that wouldn't work with the version of the
rtl8139.0 driver supplied with the 2.2.19 kernel used in Debian now.  It
needed a re-compiled module from the disk.  If your card is over 6
months old or uses a "a" or "b" series RealTek chipset, then it "should"
work with the existing module...either one.  You will know immediately
if it works or not..  If it doesn't, I really don't know what to tell
you.  I would offer to try to compile it here, but I would have no way
of testing it out to see if it compiled correctly, nor would my kernel
version match yours.

4.  If you have an old ne2k-pci NIC laying around, try installing it and
using it for the install.  I know for sure these are well-supported by
the boot-floppies.  Also, you might want to check out the various
"config" files for the different boot-floppy sets and see exactly which
drivers are "compiled" in.  Both the "compact" and "idepci" flavors have
built-in support for EEXPRES-PRO100, NE2K-PCI, Via-RHINE, and VORTEX
chipsets so you will NOT have to insert these modules to get the NIC
recognized.

4.  Once you get to installing the base system, you will be given a
choice of where to install from...select "network" and fill in the
blanks.  It goes rather fast from this point.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-