Re: Sparc Linux?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:06:05PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> What if something like apache had a VERY old version for sparc linux where
> suse had an up to date, patched package?  I think that was the main
> issue.

Well, it is definitely true that some SPARC support has improved since
potato was released.  Kernel 2.4, in particular, provides better support
for 64 bit sparcs than did 2.2.  Unofficial packages are available for
the SPARC hardware to allow you to upgrade potato to kernel 2.4.  You
could also run woody or sid, which I do on one of my SPARCs.

In general, support for SPARC hardware is available, and anything that
works in i386 land should work in SPARC land.

noah