Re: Sparc Linux?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:37:35PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   A couple of us are playing with Linux on Sparc.  It's supposed to be
> rather nice.
>
>   We're currently playing with the Suse version because the guy who
> started this heard the debian version doesn't work on anything better
> than a Clasic very well.
>
>   Anyone running Potatoe or Woody on a 420/450 or something relatively
> new and powerful?

I don't know where you heard that, because Debian's main archive server
is an UltraSPARC 60 with 2 450Mhz CPU's and 1.5gigs of RAM. It handles
several hundred megs of new packages a day, including maintaining the
postgresql database of the archive layout and pushing the archive out to
several mirrors (again, on a daily basis).

I'd say that's a notch or two better than a classic.

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \