Re: PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 08:00:15PM +0100, Tom Breza wrote:
> > Wow, Tom is right but kernel recompile is the more painful way.  I have
> > gone through this pain of upgrading for my i486DX2 gateway.
> Why compiling kernel is painful????

Point well taken.  Yes "compiling" is fun :-)

What I meant was: why waist very good work by Debian kernel package
maintainer who usually fix problems associated with "official kernel"
and get them nicely work with modules/initrd/cramfs.

> I believe he have relatively new laptop with strong CPU a lot of ram,
> Hardware should not be a problem, any way if u have slow pc u can
> always use other stronger (other desktop, ya friends pc etc) to make a
> kernel and modules and install it on ya pc.  Knowledge?

Yes.  I use my desktop to do most of the things for my notebook too.
Knowledge-wise, it is easier to compile-in PCMCIA support than trying to
figure out yenta_socket and isa-pnp modules are needed for "official
kernel".

With current highly modular 2.4 kernel, using canned "official kernel"
does not degrade memory requirement etc.

If compiling was "objective", then we also have to compile all the
application like FreeBSD.  But ...

Making modules configured correctly, we can take full advantage of
binary distribution of official Debian kernel by apt-get install :-)  My
SMP host takes 15 min to compile kernel while download takes few minutes
over cable.  (Sure I also have to do .config update to some extent by
manually through "make oldconfig" every time too.)

> hmmm that can be a problem, but I believe most of ppl if not all use
> linux have to learn new stuff, well then this should not be a big
> problem......

Yes I agree that people have to learn new staff including becoming
savvy with modules.

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +