PCMCIA -- Unstable -- Kernel 2.4.12

Did you have to download and install a separate pcmcia package as well?

What did you download and from where, please?

I am currently seeing Cardbus Services handle my 3Com 3c589 nic (under
Progeny and kernel 2.2.18).  I am not clear as to what handles my nic under
Unstable and kernel 2.4.12 (which I just downloaded but have not installed).

Where do I go from here, please?

My plan is to reboot with Unstable, then install 2.4.12 ... but I need to
know
from where and what precisely I need to download to be certain I can get
pcmcia back up should Unstable and/or 2.4.12 kill it.

Thanks!  Doc