Re: Woody Killed PCMCIA

> Note: I'm re-posting this to the debian-laptops list too, in case
> someone there has any ideas.
> Hubert
>
> OK.  If you're still on 2.2.18, then the old pcmcia-modules should still
> work.  My guess is that Woody and Progeny have a different set of
> startup scripts, and somehow the upgrade cause the PCMCIA stuff to not
> get loaded.  Unfortunately I don't know much about that stuff, so
> hopefully someone else will.
>
> Does doing "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart" help anything?  What does it
> output?

Like everything else I seem to do ... error messages!  :-(

"Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
Starting PCMCIA services:Warning: modutils is reading from
/etc/modules.conf and ignoring  /etc/conf.modules.  The use of
/etc/conf/modules is deprecated, please remove /etc/conf.modules
as soon as possible.  Command  rm /etc/conf.modules
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.2.18/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module:Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.18/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.18/pcmcia/ds.o
failed /lib/modules/2.2.18/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod ds failed
cardmgr"

> How about "modprobe pcmcia_core"?

"Warning: modutils is reading from
/etc/modules.conf and ignoring  /etc/conf.modules.  The use of
/etc/conf/modules is deprecated, please remove /etc/conf.modules
as soon as possible."

> Hmm.  You might try putting the pcmcia-cs package on hold.  Do
>   echo pcmcia-cs hold | dpkg --set-selections
> before you upgrade.  Maybe there's some conflict between the new
> pcmcia-cs and the old modules.

OK.

> I assume you're using apt-get to do the upgrade?  Are you using "apt-get
> upgrade"? or "apt-get dist-upgrade"?
> Have you looked at the Progeny Debian -> Debian Woody conversion page?
> http://www.progeny.com/archive/debian/support/conversion.html

That is precisely what I was following, using the fresh Progeny CD install
Woody instructions.  That is part of my frustration, I trusted those
instructions
and they don't warn about a trashed pcmcia setup.

Thanks!  Doc