Re: network, ifconfig, symbol link to network

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 06:22:22PM +0200, Jean-Christophe Boggio wrote:
| Ref : Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:46:10 PM
|
| d> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Christian Eckert wrote:
| d> This isn't right.  There should be a directory /etc/network/ on your
| d> system, if you installed the 'netbase' and 'ifupdown' packages.
|
| d> All you need to do is put the alias in /etc/modutils/my_aliases.  For
| d> example :
|
| d>     echo "alias eth0 ne" >> /etc/modutils/my_aliases && update_aliases
|
| What is this "my_aliases" file

A file that can be named anything you want.  You create it and put
your aliases and options in there.

| and update_aliases script ?

Oops, should be 'update-modules'.  When it is run, it concatenates
everything in the /etc/modutils directory and creates (overwrites)
/etc/modules.conf with the result.

| Till now, I modify /etc/modutils/aliases and use update-modules but
| everytime modutils is updated, I have to let dpkg overwrite my own
| aliases and put them back to the new /etc/modutils/aliases.
|
| Is there a way to do this cleanly, like you do with your own aliases
| file ? Where does update_aliases come from ?

See above.

| d> | As this file should be executed at boot time I have to create
| d> | furthermore some symbol links in /etc/init.d/??? ,beginning
| d> | with  SXXname.
| d> | now the questions:
| d> | 1)Are there any rules for choosing the number XX ?
| d> |    This will obviously arrange the sequence of starting up
| d> |    different scripts. That means are there any scripts which have to
| d> |    be started before configuring the network?
|
| d> Yes, the number is chosen so that the order of startup is as intended.
|
| d> | 2)Do I also have to create a killing script KXXname?
|
| d> If you want to take down the network when you shutdown.
|
| d> | 3) I suppose that in each runlevel in which
| d> |    I want to use the network capabilities, I have to create this
| d> | symbol-link
| d> |    also,  right?
|
| d> Yes.
|
| Shouldn't he be using update-rc.d which does all this in a clean
| manner ?

Sure, you can use update-rc.d.  I haven't used it much because it
usually takes me longer to get the arguments right than to tweak the
directory.  I only use 1 runlevel anyways (not counting 0,1,6)

-D