Re: network, ifconfig, symbol link to network

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Christian Eckert wrote:
| Hi friends,
| for some reasons during the debian (potato) installation
| I had to leave out my Ne2000 compatible network-card.
| I plugged it in later and installed the module 'ne'.
| wonderful,no ioport-problems nor irq-problems.
| Now I want to setup the network...
| I created the file '/etc/network' whith
| commands like 'ifconfig, route and so on' . as an
| executable scriptfile.

This isn't right.  There should be a directory /etc/network/ on your
system, if you installed the 'netbase' and 'ifupdown' packages.

All you need to do is put the alias in /etc/modutils/my_aliases.  For
example :

    echo "alias eth0 ne" >> /etc/modutils/my_aliases && update_aliases

(as root).  Then edit /etc/network/interfaces to have the correct
information about your interface.  Then running 'ifup eth0' will bring
up the interface and 'ifdown eth0' takes it down.  Here is a sample
interfaces file ('man interfaces' will tell you more) :

-------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.0.6
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       gateway 192.168.0.1

iface eth1 inet dhcp
-------------

This file defines eth0 as a static interface but eth1 uses dhcp.

| As this file should be executed at boot time I have to create
| furthermore some symbol links in /etc/init.d/??? ,beginning
| with  SXXname.
| now the questions:
| 1)Are there any rules for choosing the number XX ?
|    This will obviously arrange the sequence of starting up
|    different scripts. That means are there any scripts which have to
|    be started before configuring the network?

Yes, the number is chosen so that the order of startup is as intended.

| 2)Do I also have to create a killing script KXXname?

If you want to take down the network when you shutdown.

| 3) I suppose that in each runlevel in which
|    I want to use the network capabilities, I have to create this
| symbol-link
|    also,  right?

Yes.

HTH,