Re[2]: network, ifconfig, symbol link to network

Ref : Tuesday, October 23, 2001 4:46:10 PM

d> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:15:18PM +0200, Christian Eckert wrote:
d> This isn't right.  There should be a directory /etc/network/ on your
d> system, if you installed the 'netbase' and 'ifupdown' packages.

d> All you need to do is put the alias in /etc/modutils/my_aliases.  For
d> example :

d>     echo "alias eth0 ne" >> /etc/modutils/my_aliases && update_aliases

What is this "my_aliases" file and update_aliases script ?

Till now, I modify /etc/modutils/aliases and use update-modules but
everytime modutils is updated, I have to let dpkg overwrite my own
aliases and put them back to the new /etc/modutils/aliases.

Is there a way to do this cleanly, like you do with your own aliases
file ? Where does update_aliases come from ?

d> | As this file should be executed at boot time I have to create
d> | furthermore some symbol links in /etc/init.d/??? ,beginning
d> | with  SXXname.
d> | now the questions:
d> | 1)Are there any rules for choosing the number XX ?
d> |    This will obviously arrange the sequence of starting up
d> |    different scripts. That means are there any scripts which have to
d> |    be started before configuring the network?

d> Yes, the number is chosen so that the order of startup is as intended.

d> | 2)Do I also have to create a killing script KXXname?

d> If you want to take down the network when you shutdown.

d> | 3) I suppose that in each runlevel in which
d> |    I want to use the network capabilities, I have to create this
d> | symbol-link
d> |    also,  right?

d> Yes.

Shouldn't he be using update-rc.d which does all this in a clean
manner ?

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat@thefreecat.org                           -o)