network, ifconfig, symbol link to network

Hi friends,
for some reasons during the debian (potato) installation
I had to leave out my Ne2000 compatible network-card.
I plugged it in later and installed the module 'ne'.
wonderful,no ioport-problems nor irq-problems.
Now I want to setup the network...
I created the file '/etc/network' whith
commands like 'ifconfig, route and so on' . as an
executable scriptfile.

As this file should be executed at boot time I have to create
furthermore some symbol links in /etc/init.d/??? ,beginning
with  SXXname.
now the questions:
1)Are there any rules for choosing the number XX ?
   This will obviously arrange the sequence of starting up
   different scripts. That means are there any scripts which have to
   be started before configuring the network?
2)Do I also have to create a killing script KXXname?
3) I suppose that in each runlevel in which
   I want to use the network capabilities, I have to create this
symbol-link
   also,  right?

thank you

Christian