Re: Network: how can I set up remote printing (sid/lpr)

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:14:35AM +1000, Alan E Davis wrote:
| Thank you.
|
| I was able to get remote printing to work.  The printer is an HP
| Laserjet attached to one machine's printer port.  I had to create an
| /etc/hosts.lpd file; listing the hosts in hosts.equiv didn't work,
| contrary to the Printing HOWTO.

Cool.

| I may take you up on the offer to help install cups.  I like the
| simple approach, however; and besides, isn't cups proprietary?

CUPS is created by a company (commercial entity) but the CUPS system
is free.  I think the source is available too.  The business model was
that the system was free (build user base and interoperability) but
support and better/more drivers would cost.

I installed the cupsomatic-ppd package the other night and I have
_lots_ of drivers now.  The system is quite easy to use too.

-D