Re: Network: how can I set up remote printing (sid/lpr)

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 10:51:27AM +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
| In my high school classroom we have a small network of four linux
| boxen, with private block ip addresses (our Public School System
| domain is in a private block), with one printer.  I have been able
| to ftp/telnet between my own boxen, but I am unskilled so don't know
| how much I can do with/among my colleagues who are running Windoze.
| I wonder about security, but I think we are ok to at least share one
| printer via our "Internet" non-internet network.

Where is the printer?  Is it plugged straight into your machine
(parallel, usb, serial, whatever) or is it on the network (ipp or
jetdirect) or is it shared from a windows host via samba or shared
via lpd (or cups/ipp) on a unix host?

I like the CUPS printing system.  It works well for me.  Install the
'cupsys', 'cupsys-client' and 'cupsys-bsd' packages.  Read the
documentation that comes with cups, and if it is overwhelming come
back with more details on your network/printer topology.

If you have the printer and want to allow the windows hosts to use it,
or it is on a windows machine and you want to use it, also install the
samba package.  For using a windows printer, the URI is
smb://<host>/<printer name>.  To share your printer with a windows
machine, put "printing = cups" in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file (it
defaults to 'bsd' I think) and get rid of the printcap line.  Make
sure a "[printers]" section exists and allows access.  The samba howto
has more details.

HTH,
-D