Re: Sound Won't Work.

Duncan Findlay <daf@daf.ca.eu.org> wrote:
Newsgroups: muc.lists.debian.user
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Sound Won't Work...

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 03:42:59PM -0600, Michael Fontenot wrote:
> >
> > The only remaining problem is that the sound level is much
> > lower than when I have W95 booted up.
> > It'd be much safer if debian
> > and W95 produced about the same volume level on
> > my machine.
> >
> >     Mike Fontenot
> >     mlfasf@home.com
> >

> How bout turning down the volume in the software mixer in W95?

Good tip!  I tried it, and I think that solves most of the problem,
although I have to turn down the W95 mixer volume by an amazing
amount to get roughly equal sound volumes for both W95 and
Debian.  I suspect this is not an optimal level (noise-wise).

After doing a little more reading, I now realize that a "mixer" in
Linux (and in W95) is really just a program that can do ioclt's
to read and write the parameters that the sound board uses
(like the master volume)...I hadn't made this connection before.

The only remaining question I have is this: what determines
the value of the master volume level when the system boots
up (before any mixer programs are run)?  Is it set somehow
when the sound driver is loaded, or does the sound driver
read the initial value from some file somewhere?  The initial
master volume level must be set VERY low in Debian.

    Mike Fontenot
    mlfasf@home.com