Re: /dev/input/mice on 2.4.12

Did you enable Event Interface Support in the Input Core section?
Did you enable HID support (either full or basic) in the USB Support
section?  You didn't mention either of these...

If that's all ok, you might need to create the /dev/input directory
yourself.  I remember having to do at least that with my 2.2.19
kernel.  I don't remember /dev/input/mice was created automatically
after that or not.

Mike