Re: maildir : mutt and fetchmail

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:19:32PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
| * dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2001.10.15 15:44:46-0400]:
| > Should this go before or after the other rule(s)?  Also, who is
| > supposed to add the Lines: header?
|
| you can make it the first rule. the Lines header is something left
| over from mbox format, which mutt uses (unfortunately)...

Yeah, it could just stat the files and see how big they are.  Sure,
the size would be in kB, not lines, but so what?

| > That's an interesting technique.  The main drawback is that it
| > duplicates messages.  Gives a sort of deja-vu feeling :-).  Does
| > procmail allow specifying multiple destinations?  Something like :
|
| well, in my case, i use webmail only now and then, and i archive my
| duplicates weekly, so i only ever have a week's worth of mail that's
| duplicated. it works, but then i am using my laptop for mail 99% of
| the time, so maybe for you it's different...

My mail arrives at the school's server (hence the @rit.edu).  It is a
Sun Solaris box (actually it's VMS but the mail is forwarded to the CS
department machines, which are Solaris).  I can use fetchmail when I'm
at home to get the mail and read it in nice color, no quota, etc.
When I'm not at home, though I can still log in to the solaris box and
read it there.  The main drawbacks are (1) the Solaris' termcap
doesn't give me color and (2) disk quota.  After reading stuff on the
server, fetchmail isn't the most helpful because everything becomes
"new" again on my workstation.

I suppose that with maildir it may be possible to scp the whole
directory from the server to my workstation and the status would be
maintained.  Do the names mean anything other than being unique?  I
should do some testing on this ...  maybe make a neat little app to
automate the transfer including filename clash handling.

| as for multiples... i am not sure, but if in doubt,
|
| :0 c
| Incoming/
|
| :0
| /var/spool/mail/dsh8290
|
| will do the trick. you don't need the ':' after the :0 because Maildir
| needs no locking, and you might just leave the "* ^.*" out as it
| always matches non-zero mails... which are the only kind that ever
| arrives at procmail.

That makes sense.  I didn't understand most of the procmail(rc) man
pages, but I figured out that the

:0:
* <regex>
<folder>

pattern works so I've stuck with it :-).

Thanks,
-D