maildir : mutt and fetchmail

Ok, now I'm using maildir for my folders.  For some reason, though,
mutt shows most messages as having a size of 0.  Why might this be?

Also, is it possible for fetchmail to retrieve from a maildir folder?
The server reports
    Server ESMTP (PMDF V6.0-24#36986)
when telneting to port 25.  I tried and got an error (sorry, I don't
have the output here, and I don't have the fetchmail config here to
try it again).  I imagine this is a server issue, but it would be
great if I can resolve it.  The situation is that I read mail on the
server sometimes so I would like the performance of maildir, but would
like to be able to retrieve it to my workstation using fetchmail
sometimes.

-D