Re: maildir : mutt and fetchmail

* dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2001.10.14 19:00:11-0400]:
> Ok, now I'm using maildir for my folders.  For some reason, though,
> mutt shows most messages as having a size of 0.  Why might this be?

because somehow Maildir is missing the Lines header. use this in your
procmail:

  :0 Bfh
  * H ?? !^Lines:
  * -1^0
  *  1^1 ^.*$
  | formail -A "Lines: $="

> Also, is it possible for fetchmail to retrieve from a maildir folder?

if you are running an appropriate POP3/IMAP server, such as
courier-imap/pop3 or spop3d, which can deal with Maildir. other than
that, you might even want to consider using rsync rather than
fetchmail to get your mail...

> when telneting to port 25.  I tried and got an error (sorry, I don't
> have the output here, and I don't have the fetchmail config here to
> try it again).  I imagine this is a server issue, but it would be
> great if I can resolve it.  The situation is that I read mail on the
> server sometimes so I would like the performance of maildir, but would
> like to be able to retrieve it to my workstation using fetchmail
> sometimes.

the other thing you can do, which i do, for instance, is using
procmail to deliver to Maildir *and* mboxx on the server. that way you
have two copies, and you use fetchmail to fetch and delete the mbox
mail, while Maildir stuff stays on the server. that way you don't have
any interferenece (frequently, when a message was read, it won't be
downloaded anymore).

never underestimate the power of human stupidity.