Working with standards (was Re: Oops, forgot...)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:24:36PM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> Unfortunately, as is usually the case with interoperability problems,
> there's no clear place to go first: mutt doesn't want to change because
> it's using the open standard correctly and m$ doesn't want to change
> because it's using the open standard incorrectly. Can anybody on this
> list tell you why? Not really; here you'll only find guesses and
> opinions on the matter, and they'll all have the same slant. There's one
> easy way to avoid the cacophony: don't ask about m$ mailers on a debian
> users' list.

To Royce's credit, he didn't actually ask about any M$ product on the
list.  He asked about some messages appearing as attachments instead of
inline.  Just so happened that the reason was M$.

And he does have a point.  The anti-M$ sentiment has led to a number of
comments on this list that, were I thinking of transitioning to Linux,
would deter me from doing so because self-righteousness is rarely very
friendly.  Of course, I'm pretty sure I moan and groan louder than most
every time I encounter M$, so should probably shut up.

:)

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne	...Discarding smoothly, as we disembark,
ben@hartshorne.net All thoughts that held us wiser for a moment