Re: routing protocols

* Nathan E Norman (nnorman@micromuse.com) spake thusly:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 11:55:09PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > RIP, HELLO, OSPF, BGP, EGP, SPREAD
> >
> We're way off topic here.  Any decent networking with IP text will
> answer these questions.

> > EGP: also similar, but used between networks (out in the wild open
> >      internet.
>
> EGP == Exterior Gateway Protocol ... refers to a family of protocols
> (those used to route between autonomous systems), and a specific
> member of that family which used to be the Internet's routing protocol
> but is now mostly dead.

Oh, so it's OK that I couldn't remember much about it... :)

> If you need more information www.rfc-editor.org has the RFCs for RIP,
> EGP, BGP, OSPF, and then of course there is the book
> "Interconnections" by Radia Perlman

There's also Chris Huitema's _Routing in the Internet_. It covers RIP/OSPF,
EGP/BGP/CIDR plus there's a nice overview of future developments like policy
routing, QoS, mobile IP etc. -- all that without getting too boring.

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin