Re: Characters can't be shown correctly on tty

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> on Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:25:57PM -0700, Osamu Aoki (debian@aokiconsulting.com) wrote:
> > As for exploits, original poster talk about, I do not think so.  Random
> > number contains some accidental ANSI sequence and that is changing font
> > assignment or something like that.  Harmless.
>
> If you funge the screen buffer enough (try catting a binary file), the
> shell sometimes tries to execute what's on the current line.  I could
> see this leading to unhappy results.

I've heard of people putting nasty ANSI sequences in their .plan (is
that the one returned by finger?) file. So if someone fingers you, their
return key is remapped to send ";rm -rf *\r\n" or something. I don't
know if the linux console can do that, but I believe some real terminals
can.

Richard