Re: Characters can't be shown correctly on tty

on Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:25:57PM -0700, Osamu Aoki (debian@aokiconsulting.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 05:11:56PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Try:
> >
> >    $ reset
> >    $ vi <return> ZZ
> >
> > ...which should reset your screen.  Not all are necessary at all times,
> > but I've found that a 'reset', brief 'vi' session, and a few screen
> > refreshes of 'top' will fix things virtually always.
>

> I usually do followings for screwed up screen.
>
>       $ reset;clear
>
> Is there any advantage for running vi and top?  Enlighten me :-)

vi usually brings back the cursor if it disappears.

top (plus screen cycles) will clear out random screen garbage if it
remains.

> I actually set "r" and "c" as alias for "reset" and "clean".

<ctrl>-L also does clear.  Some people encode the reset key sequence
into their shell prompt so that the screen resets with each new prompt
;-)

> As for exploits, original poster talk about, I do not think so.  Random
> number contains some accidental ANSI sequence and that is changing font
> assignment or something like that.  Harmless.

If you funge the screen buffer enough (try catting a binary file), the
shell sometimes tries to execute what's on the current line.  I could
see this leading to unhappy results.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org