Re: Stable -> 2.4 kernel, best path?

Thus spake Stan Brown:
> I have a stable machine, that I need to use the 2.4 kernel on. I remebr a
> while back lloking inot this.
>
> As I recall, I found 2 ways to do this.
>
> 1. Some kind soul had created a set of packages for this (kernel, lbc, file
> utilites ...)
>
> 2, Upgrading to Progeny
>
> Am I recalling this corectly?
>
> If so could someone point me to a source for the ackages for choice 1?
>
> Also what do people think is the least risky way to do this?
>
> Basicly I have a machine that I need to get into production ASAP, and it
> needs largefile support.
>
> Thanks for any recomendations.

Hello,
You can upgrade the kernel without messing with anything else - all you
have to do is either
a) download the latest kernel-source packafe (apt-gettable) and compile
in your needed options, make kpkg and so forth, or
b) download the tar.gz from www.kernel.org - what I generally do,
although it's unpatched.  Compile in your needed options, make clean,
etc, and reboot.
There are a number of good walkthroughs online - a google search for
kernel recompile or something should give you more than enough options.
One note as an afterthought - if you've never done this before, and
aren't sure what options you need to enable, copying the .config file
from your current kernel source directory into the new one before
configuring can be helpful - at least you'll have all the same options
chosen as before.
Good luck,
Steve