Re: resiserfs on woody install?

Robert L. Harris writes:
 >   where can I find info on ext3?  I don't see it in the kernel.  Can ext2 be
 > upgraded to ext3 once the machine is installed and I'm upgrading to 2.4.X?
 > I take it I have to patch the kernel for ext3 as I don't see it as an option
 > in my 2.4.10 kernel config.

http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/

There you'll find the patch for 2.4.10 and the documentation.
Basically, grab the patch, cd to your sources, gunzip path/to/patch |
patch -p1, then do a make config (or menuconfig or whatever).

I have upgraded machines using ext2 to ext3 while they were running.
There is one important thing to note.  In 2.4.10, running tune2fs -j
/dev/hdXX then rebooting won't give you an ext3 partition.  You must
run tune2fs in a different kernel (like your existing one), because of
some changes in the 2.4.10 kernel.

If you need to delete the .journal file, because you forgot to
create the journal in 2.4.9 (or whatever kernel) use:
"chattr -i .journal; rm .journal" BEFORE running "tune2fs -j"
(from
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2001-September/001467.html)

Oh, and make sure e2fsprogs and mount are the correct versions.

Discussions about ext3 on 2.4.10 are in September's archives:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2001-September/thread.html

Andrew.