Re: resiserfs on woody install?

Ok,
  where can I find info on ext3?  I don't see it in the kernel.  Can ext2 be
upgraded to ext3 once the machine is installed and I'm upgrading to 2.4.X?
I take it I have to patch the kernel for ext3 as I don't see it as an option
in my 2.4.10 kernel config.

Thus spake A.R. (Tom) Peters (tpeters@xs4all.nl):

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> > I am rebuilding a box.  I have the woody floppies, I've gotten to the
> > point of initializing the root filesystem.  Interestingly there is a
> > "mkreiserfs" available and it can make the filesystem, but doesn't seem
> > to be able to mount it.  I've tried to install the modules but it won't
> > install until root is mounted....
> >
> > How do I mount the reiserfs filesystem so I can install on a reiserfs
> > cleanly?
>
> Theoretically, this should work iff you have ReiserFS support built into
> your kernel.  Having it in a module is a pain, since you have to use a
> root floppy and|or an initrd which has the module tools and the modules
> and mount.
>
> It has been advised to keep your root (and possibly /var) as ext2fs, so
> that use an ordinary kernel on a rescue disk (i.e. without ReiserFS) to
> repair your system.  If you want a journalling FS, you can easily put a
> journal on / and make it ext3fs.
>
> I have no direct experience with your situation, because I also put my
> Reiserfs on logical volumes.  Theoretically it should be possible to put
> your root FS on a logical volume (again using an initrd and an init that
> keeps running while you chroot to your proper FS), but after 2 weeks I
> gave up.
>
> --
>
> 	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
> 		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204