Re: resiserfs on woody install?

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I am rebuilding a box.  I have the woody floppies, I've gotten to the
> point of initializing the root filesystem.  Interestingly there is a
> "mkreiserfs" available and it can make the filesystem, but doesn't seem
> to be able to mount it.  I've tried to install the modules but it won't
> install until root is mounted....
>
> How do I mount the reiserfs filesystem so I can install on a reiserfs
> cleanly?

Theoretically, this should work iff you have ReiserFS support built into
your kernel.  Having it in a module is a pain, since you have to use a
root floppy and|or an initrd which has the module tools and the modules
and mount.

It has been advised to keep your root (and possibly /var) as ext2fs, so
that use an ordinary kernel on a rescue disk (i.e. without ReiserFS) to
repair your system.  If you want a journalling FS, you can easily put a
journal on / and make it ext3fs.

I have no direct experience with your situation, because I also put my
Reiserfs on logical volumes.  Theoretically it should be possible to put
your root FS on a logical volume (again using an initrd and an init that
keeps running while you chroot to your proper FS), but after 2 weeks I
gave up.

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204