Re: Mozilla is so slow! Problem with my upgrade to 2.2r3?

On 03 Oct 2001, Frank Zimmermann wrote:
> Simon Law wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Peter Christensen wrote:
> >

> >>Anyway, I thought I would post this question here just in case it's an
> >>obvious, easily fixed problem.   Otherwise, I'll just re-install from a
> >>new set of disks.  By the way, my computer is a Pentium 200 MHz, with 32
> >>MB of RAM.  Is this too antiquated to run Mozilla, or perhaps Gnome or
> >>Galeon eventually???
> >>

> >	Oh my.  You're going to get a lot of responses telling you to
> >upgrade; but my guess is that you're problems stems from low RAM.  On
> >32 MB of RAM, you're going to start running deep into virtual memory
> >because of Mozilla's big footprint.  I've heard good things about Galeon,
> >but on your computer, you may just want to stick with lynx-ssl.
> >
> >Simon
> >

> Or you could try Opera. It's c;osed source thought but a very nice and
> fast browser. It runs reasonably fast (means faster than Netscape) on my
> P133 with 80MB RAM.
> You can get .debs from the Operasite: http://www.opera.com
>
> Frank

Don't really get on with Opera myself. I always seem to come back to
Netscape in the end, with all its faults. The 4.7 versions seem to crash
less often than earlier ones. Mind you, I prefer Lynx to any of them and
use it when I can, especially for downloads.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

It's no go the Yogi Man, it's no go Blavatsky.
All we need is a cheque book and a bit of skirt in a taxi. [Louis MacNeice]