Re: Mozilla is so slow! Problem with my upgrade to 2.2r3?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Peter Christensen wrote:

> I did an apt-get dist-upgrade, to move from 2.1 to 2.2r3, then did an
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.19, based on a recommendation from this
> mailing list.
>
> My problem now is that when I start Mozilla it takes 50 to 60 seconds
> before the application appears on the screen, and all the time I can
> hear my hard drive "thrashing."  After that any activity in Mozilla
> (such as clicking on "file" or "edit") takes about a minute to execute.
>
> If I were using Windows I would assume that the operating system got
> trashed again and I would reload it for the umpteenth time.
>
> What could be happening here?  I think I may be ready to buy a set of
> 2.2 disks because from a beginner's viewpoint it seems that successfully
> upgrading the OS to 2.2 was probably too much to expect.  It went very
> smoothly (I was very impressed with how easy it was!), but I did get
> some messages about what seemed to be housekeeping tasks that needed to
> be done as a result of the upgrade.  Some of them related to files that
> simply don't exist on my machine, so maybe something is seriously
> wrong.
>
> Anyway, I thought I would post this question here just in case it's an
> obvious, easily fixed problem.   Otherwise, I'll just re-install from a
> new set of disks.  By the way, my computer is a Pentium 200 MHz, with 32
> MB of RAM.  Is this too antiquated to run Mozilla, or perhaps Gnome or
> Galeon eventually???

	Oh my.  You're going to get a lot of responses telling you to
upgrade; but my guess is that you're problems stems from low RAM.  On
32 MB of RAM, you're going to start running deep into virtual memory
because of Mozilla's big footprint.  I've heard good things about Galeon,
but on your computer, you may just want to stick with lynx-ssl.

Simon