Re: CD Burner Permissions

Thus spake Joachim Trinkwitz:
> The solution to your problem is rather well hidden deep in cdrecords man
> page:
>
>        If  you  don't  want to allow users to become root on your
>        system, cdrecord may safely be installed suid  root.  This
>        allows  all  users or a group of users with no root privi­
>        leges to use cdrecord.  Cdrecord in this case  checks,  if
>        the  real  user would have been able to read the specified
>        files.  To give all user access to use cdrecord, enter:
>
>             chown root /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
>             chmod 4711 /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
>
>        To give a restricted group of  users  access  to  cdrecord
>        enter:
>
>             chown root /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
>             chgrp cdburners /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
>             chmod 4710 /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
>        and add a group cdburners on your system.
>
>        Never  give  write  permissions  for non root users to the
>        /dev/scg?  devices  unless  you  would  allow  anybody  to
>        read/write/format all your disks.
>
> I've done this on my system, and it works well.
Thanks to all who wrote back - Joachim's solution (the one I should have
noticed earlier, but was inexplicably more addled than before) did the
job elegantly.  Thanks again, everyone.  As always, this list provides
the best tech support/discussion forum I've encountered so far.  It's
good to know these resources exist.
Take care,
Steve
--
Power corrupts.  And atomic power corrupts atomically.