Re: CD Burner Permissions

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:28:57AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> From /etc/fstab:
> /dev/scd0 /cdr iso9660 ro,defaults,users,noauto 0 0
>
> ls -l /dev/scd0
> brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Feb 11  2001 /dev/scd0
>
> So - adduser jane cdrom
>
> Completes normally, but still no permission to write to drive.  I seem
> to remember that there are different /dev/ entries, one for reading and

for arguments sake, thats more or less the same type of setup i have at
home except with sdc0 as 660... i'm not 100% sure if there is a secondary
dev device which is used.. but one thing which might help in debugging the
problem is to set your cd writing program suid root. I wouldn't recommend
leaving it there permanently, but atleast then you can see if the issue
is deeper down in the system.

im no security expert, but i do know that 99.9% of the time, dont be
tempted by suid root :)

--
Adam McDaniel
Infrastructure Technology Consultant