Re: CD Burner Permissions

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:02:00AM -0600, Adam McDaniel wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:28:57AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > From /etc/fstab:
> > /dev/scd0 /cdr iso9660 ro,defaults,users,noauto 0 0
> >
> > ls -l /dev/scd0
> > brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Feb 11  2001 /dev/scd0
> >
> > So - adduser jane cdrom
> >
> > Completes normally, but still no permission to write to drive.  I seem
> > to remember that there are different /dev/ entries, one for reading and

This question's been asked and answered several times in the last few
weeks ... check the archives at lists.debian.org.  You need scsi
generic support in your kernel to do cd writing.  Use the sg? devices
to access the drive.  cdrecord -scanbus can help you figure out what's
going on.

Your /dev/scd0 permissions are fubar ... should be

  brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Feb 11  2001 /dev/scd0

Allowing permissions to "all" makes the cdrom group superfluous.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.