Re: CD Burner Permissions

Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@home.com> writes:

> Which is all as it should be, on the face of it.  The fact that the
> burner is the only thing on the SCSI bus means that it should be
> /dev/sg0, no?  Or perhaps I'm still not getting it - I'm kind of tired
> and not thinking perhaps as straight as I should.  If anyone can clear
> this up for me, I'd appreciate it.
> Did some list searching, but the only advice I found was directed
> towards people using SCSI emulation, rather than straightforward SCSI,
> and they didn't seem to be having this problem, or not quite.

The solution to your problem is rather well hidden deep in cdrecords man
page:

       If  you  don't  want to allow users to become root on your
       system, cdrecord may safely be installed suid  root.  This
       allows  all  users or a group of users with no root privi­
       leges to use cdrecord.  Cdrecord in this case  checks,  if
       the  real  user would have been able to read the specified
       files.  To give all user access to use cdrecord, enter:

            chown root /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
            chmod 4711 /usr/local/bin/cdrecord

       To give a restricted group of  users  access  to  cdrecord
       enter:

            chown root /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
            chgrp cdburners /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
            chmod 4710 /usr/local/bin/cdrecord
       and add a group cdburners on your system.

       Never  give  write  permissions  for non root users to the
       /dev/scg?  devices  unless  you  would  allow  anybody  to
       read/write/format all your disks.

I've done this on my system, and it works well.

Greetings,
joachim