Re: CD Burner Permissions

Thus spake Nathan E Norman:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:02:00AM -0600, Adam McDaniel wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:28:57AM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > From /etc/fstab:
> > > /dev/scd0 /cdr iso9660 ro,defaults,users,noauto 0 0
> > >
> > > ls -l /dev/scd0
> > > brwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Feb 11  2001 /dev/scd0
> > >
> > > So - adduser jane cdrom
> > >
> > > Completes normally, but still no permission to write to drive.  I seem
> > > to remember that there are different /dev/ entries, one for reading and
>
> This question's been asked and answered several times in the last few
> weeks ... check the archives at lists.debian.org.  You need scsi
> generic support in your kernel to do cd writing.  Use the sg? devices
> to access the drive.  cdrecord -scanbus can help you figure out what's
> going on.
>
> Your /dev/scd0 permissions are fubar ... should be
>
>   brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Feb 11  2001 /dev/scd0
>
> Allowing permissions to "all" makes the cdrom group superfluous.
Hello all,
OK - so far I've looked into some of the things people have mentioned,
which I'll try to detail in some coherent shape:

chmod the permissions on /dev/scd0 back to how they should have been (I
changed them that way to see if I was miising something with groups -
quite obviously, didn't work).  Thanks for pointing it out to me, as I
forgot to change them back.

ls -l /dev/sg0:
crw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     21,   0 Jan 29  2001 /dev/sg0

cdrecord -scanbus:
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.19
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
         0,0,0     0) *
	 0,1,0     1) *
	 0,2,0     2) *
	 0,3,0     3) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW8424S	 '1.0d' Removable CD-ROM
	 0,4,0     4) *
	 0,5,0     5) *
	 0,6,0     6) *
	 0,7,0	   7) *

Which is all as it should be, on the face of it.  The fact that the
burner is the only thing on the SCSI bus means that it should be
/dev/sg0, no?  Or perhaps I'm still not getting it - I'm kind of tired
and not thinking perhaps as straight as I should.  If anyone can clear
this up for me, I'd appreciate it.

Did some list searching, but the only advice I found was directed
towards people using SCSI emulation, rather than straightforward SCSI,
and they didn't seem to be having this problem, or not quite.

Thanks again, everyone,
Steve
--
	Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void.  Waiting
alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion.  It is