Re: printers

Thus spake Michael Ward Cole:
> I listed lsmod and only had parport and parport_pc.  I have been around
> the debian site looking for lp but can't seem to locate it.  Again, any
> assistance will be appreciated.
> Michael
OK - now we're getting somewhere.  The parport and parport_pc modules
control recogniton of your parallel port and use of PC architectur
hardware (as opposed to Mac, I guess) on the parallel port,
respectively.  You need lp to have a printer connected, just as you'd
need parport_something_or_other to have a paralel port Zip disk or
whatever.  So - try:
insmod lp

if that works, no problem.  Just add:
lp
to /etc/modules, and all is well.  You should have a functional printer
interface in no time - still need to do the filtering and whatnot, and
setup the actual print daemon, but that's for later.  If it fails, still
not the end of the world.  Just recompile your kernel and make sure to
include parallel printer support - I think it's in the character devices
section, although I'm not sure.

Good luck,
Steve

--
Your society will be sought by people of taste and refinement.