Re: printers

Unfortunately,  I am not able to print a blessed thing.  I get device unknown on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 and /dev/lp2.  I have also tried the ttySn ports but that was on a 'wing and a prayer'.  I have tried echo "Hello "World" > /dev/lp0, lp1 and so on without success.  The problem then is in the device I would assume.  Or should I just not assume anything and try everything?  I don't care about the polling.  I just want little black dots on the white sheet of paper.  I have been working with an Epson Stylus Photo 750, a HP 695c and a Star NL-10(dmp).  I can't get any to work.
Any thoughts and assistance would be helpfful.
Thanks,
Michael