Re: printers

Thus spake root:
> I guess that I have to recompile the kernel.  Which HOW TO do I read for
> that?  Also, I don't seem to have the lp module on my system at all.  I
> used the idepci kernel in the beginning.  Perhaps I should go back and
> use the compact kernel or one of the others.  The idepci was the first
> kernel version that would recognize my network cards.
> Thanks for your help with this new linux user.
> Michael

Ok  - first, some basics.  The linux kernel (I'm sure you know most of
this, but you seem unsure about some aspects of it, so I'm going to
repeat) handles the low level interface with your hardware, in addition
to a bazillion other tasks.  It seems from what you said that you
installed a debianized kernel (which is good - it takes a lot of the
guesswork out) and ran it as it was.  That's fine, you just need to
tweak a few things.  You don't need to install a new version, you just
need to recompile the one you've got - the idepci kernel version (I'm
assuming 2.2.x ?) is just set up with the configurations for the
hardware interface you're using - ide hardrives and pci slots for your
cards.  OK - enough sermon.  A good link is:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-post-install.en.html
This walks you through downloading and installing the debian-packaged
kernel - for just a tweak, try:
http://www.linux.com/howto/Kernel-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.1
This walks you through a Red Hat kernel compile.  Note the make modules
&& make modules_install step - you should be able to just do that and
not change your booting kernel (so long as you're using the same version
& patch number).  Just make sure that loadable module support is enabled
(which I think it must be, since you can lsmod and so forth) and then
enable parallel port line printer & compile.
Good luck,
Steve

P.S. - make a boot disk before you do anything else:
mkboot
That way you can recover from any major errors.  Also, I noticed that
you sent this mail as root, that's probably safe enough, but try to
reserve running as root for when you absolutely need to - practice
safety from the beginning before you get into bad habits and hopefully
you'll avoid some of the more interesting mistakes we;ve all made.

--
What, still alive at twenty-two,
A clean upstanding chap like you?