Re: Installed netscape, but how do I start it?

Dman wrote:

-This means that when netscape was compiled it was linked against a
-different version of libstdc++ than the one you have right now.  There
-really isn't a solution since we don't have netscape's sources to
-recompile it.

OK, I'll give up on trying to use Netscape.  (I don't really care what
browser I use.)

When I tried to go to http://198.186.203.20 nothing happened.  I typed
it in the address bar in Mozilla, hit enter, and nothing!  When I typed

host www.debian.org

in a terminal, I got the following:

  216.33.160.173 connect:  Network is unreachable
  216.33.160.174 connect:  Network is unreachable
  www.debian.org  A record not found, try again

216.33.160.173 and 174 are the values that GTCinternet gave me when I
signed up with them as an ISP provider.  In Netscape, under Windows 95,
I have no trouble reaching the Debian website.  In Mozilla, under Linux,
I can only get to a website by clicking and following links in the
Mozilla home page.

When I shut down Linux last night I noticed the following message on the
screen just before the "system halted" message:

debian login:  /usr/sbin/gpm:  /dev/ttyS0:  operation not supported by
device

I use a dial-up connection with an external US Robotics 56K v.90
modem.

Peter Christensen

P.S.  Karsten and Dman, thanks for the info on apt.  Once I get past
this internet problem I realize that updates off the internet are the
best way to go.