upgrade to kernel-2.4.9

Hi all
  I have a PII 350 and recently upgraded to Woody.
Today I did a apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.9-586
kernel-headers-2.4.9-586 and no problems with the
install.  I added initrd=/boot/initrd to lilo.conf and
then typed lilo, I also added "do_initrd = Yes" to
/etc/kernel-img.conf.  I did a shutdown -r now as root
and booted into the new kernel.  In the dmesg that
came up I noticed "AT keyboard not found" something to
that effect, (I have a USB keyboard) and I was
sucessful booting into the console mode.  I tried to
log in as a user and was unable to type anything to
the screen.  The only way that I know to get out of
that is to do a hard shutdown, which I did.  I
rebooted into my old kernel and looked at the
config-2.4.9-586 file and usb kbrd=m so that appeared
ok.  I looked at the /boot partation and my
vmlinuz-2.4.9-586 looked like a notepad, so as root I
changed the permissions to what there are on my
vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21 on the exe and then rebooted to
kernel-2.4.9-586.  No change.
  I have tried to build my own kernel before and was
not successful, so I figured I would try the
preconfigured kernel from testing.
  All help on resolving this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don