Galeon problem solved!

First, I'd like to thank Karsten Self & Steven Yap for their help in
getting Galeon up and running.  I must say, I'm quite impressed with this
particular browser.

Also, apologies for the length of time between last posting and this
message, and apologies that I didn't follow up in-thread.

A couple of notes to those who might be interested in checking this out.
(These are mostly geared toward those who will be compiling Galeon from
source, rather than installing the pre-packaged .debs.  Due to what I think
is a misconfiguration in my company's external firewall, I don't appear to
be able to connect to remote FTP sites reliably.)

1) Galeon tends to be quite sensitive to your Mozilla install.  Upgrading
   mozilla will likely break Galeon, requiring at the least a rebuild.

2) This can cause some difficulties if you rely, as I do, on Ximian's
   Mozilla packages.  (I tried downloading Mozilla 0.9.1 from mozilla.org
   yesterday; it didn't work.)  I destroyed my galeon 0.11.5 build
   yesterday by upgrading to mozilla 0.9.3.  It would appear that galeon
   0.11.5 won't even build against mozilla 0.9.3, let alone run, but I'm
   not entirely sure of this---I was fairly frustrated yesterday morning as
   I was attempting to rebuild things.

3) Galeon versions 0.12 and (presumably) later use the gconf system to
   manage configuration details.  Unfortunately, the documentation doesn't
   explain how to set up the necessary config file hierarchy to allow
   Galeon to start the first time.

   Steven Yap suggested running
    gconftool --install-schema-file /etc/gconf/schemas/*
   to provide Galeon with the stuff it needs.  This was close, but not
   quite correct.  On my system, at least, I had to specify
    gconftool --install-schema-file /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/*
   Presumably, it depends on where you've installed Galeon.

Hope this proves useful,

Richard
--
 /"\