Re: Galeon problem solved!

on Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 08:18:36AM -0500, Richard Cobbe (rcc@inet.com) wrote:
> First, I'd like to thank Karsten Self & Steven Yap for their help in
> getting Galeon up and running.  I must say, I'm quite impressed with this
> particular browser.

As am I.  Almost worth the GNOME cruft.

> Also, apologies for the length of time between last posting and this
> message, and apologies that I didn't follow up in-thread.
>
> A couple of notes to those who might be interested in checking this out.
> (These are mostly geared toward those who will be compiling Galeon from
> source, rather than installing the pre-packaged .debs.  Due to what I think
> is a misconfiguration in my company's external firewall, I don't appear to
> be able to connect to remote FTP sites reliably.)
>
> 1) Galeon tends to be quite sensitive to your Mozilla install.
>    Upgrading mozilla will likely break Galeon, requiring at the least
>    a rebuild.

This is one reason I tend to upgrade Galeon tentatively.  I'm currently
at 0.11.5, which works quite well.  Generally, once you get a good,
stable, release, you'll want a good reason to move up to something else.
Fortunately, the Debian packages tend to lag quite a way ;-)

> 2) This can cause some difficulties if you rely, as I do, on Ximian's
>    Mozilla packages.  (I tried downloading Mozilla 0.9.1 from
>    mozilla.org yesterday; it didn't work.)  I destroyed my galeon
>    0.11.5 build yesterday by upgrading to mozilla 0.9.3.  It would
>    appear that galeon 0.11.5 won't even build against mozilla 0.9.3,
>    let alone run, but I'm not entirely sure of this---I was fairly
>    frustrated yesterday morning as I was attempting to rebuild things.

I don't run any GNOME apps of significance other than Galeon.  IMO
GNOME's repeating some well known mistakes by creating such a
dependency-laden system.  It's inherently fragile.  Galeon's treading on
some dangerous ground in this regard.

> 3) Galeon versions 0.12 and (presumably) later use the gconf system to
>    manage configuration details.  Unfortunately, the documentation
>    doesn't explain how to set up the necessary config file hierarchy
>    to allow Galeon to start the first time.

My experience (almost wholly vicarious) with gconf is almost uniformly
bad.  It seems like a reinvention of the legacy MS Windows Registry,
with fragile settings.  Not to mention some really bad quality control
(largely file permissions settings, it seems) in a few revs.

Peace.

Praying for the victims.