Re: "Webwasher" alternatives (was Re: Web banner blocker)

on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:29:05PM -0400, Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com) wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2001 06:13 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Some, but relatively few.  My own policy is:
> >
> >   - I don't like animated ads: handled with animation settings in Galeon.
> >   - I don't like Java/Javascript ads:  disable both.
> >   - I don't like ad demographics aggregatorss:  handled with both DNS
> >     and junkbuster.
>
> Yeah, I'd like to add major advertises to an iptables ruleset, but I am
> uncertain how to obtain all IP addresses owned by an organization.

This is why DNS blackholing is easier.  Adding an authoritative
reference for a domain grabs all references to it.  Similarly, a
suitably formed expression should work similarly, e.g.:

    *.doubleclick.com
    *.doubleclick.net

<...>

> > What other webwasher type proxies are there out there?  I have a strong
> > preference for free software.
>
> I wish I knew, but someone else following this rather large thread
> might have some suggestions.  I'm curious myself.  (Just occurred to
> me that WebWasher could track my surfing habbits and such -- I haven't
> monitored for that.  Scary thought.)

Is Webwasher a local proxy or a remote one?  I'd thought the former,
sounds not.

As far as tracking your surfing, I'm chatting with a guy who's pointed
me to a site that gets direct logs from ISPs, on claim was they had
about 35% of the market in their service area.  Ties full demographics
(they've got your ISP) with traffic patterns.  Lesson:  you can't trust
anyone to see both ends of your connection.

The company involved is:   http://www.hitwise.com.au/methodology/

Cheers.