Re: "Webwasher" alternatives (was Re: Web banner blocker)

wrote:
> > On Monday 10 September 2001 06:13 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Some, but relatively few.  My own policy is:
> > >
> > >   - I don't like animated ads: handled with animation settings in
> > > Galeon. - I don't like Java/Javascript ads:  disable both.
> > >   - I don't like ad demographics aggregatorss:  handled with both DNS
> > >     and junkbuster.
> >
> > Yeah, I'd like to add major advertises to an iptables ruleset, but I am
> > uncertain how to obtain all IP addresses owned by an organization.
>
> This is why DNS blackholing is easier.  Adding an authoritative
> reference for a domain grabs all references to it.  Similarly, a
> suitably formed expression should work similarly, e.g.:
>
>     *.doubleclick.com
>     *.doubleclick.net

So I'd need to setup a bind server to do that kind of stuff?  Or I could use
my hosts file I guess.  But bind on the gateway would probably be easier.

> <...>
>
> > > What other webwasher type proxies are there out there?  I have a strong
> > > preference for free software.
> >
> > I wish I knew, but someone else following this rather large thread
> > might have some suggestions.  I'm curious myself.  (Just occurred to
> > me that WebWasher could track my surfing habbits and such -- I haven't
> > monitored for that.  Scary thought.)
>
> Is Webwasher a local proxy or a remote one?  I'd thought the former,
> sounds not.

It's local for me, but I could set it up such that all my machines could use
it too.  So it can do both.

> As far as tracking your surfing, I'm chatting with a guy who's pointed
> me to a site that gets direct logs from ISPs, on claim was they had
> about 35% of the market in their service area.  Ties full demographics
> (they've got your ISP) with traffic patterns.  Lesson:  you can't trust
> anyone to see both ends of your connection.

Is there any way to defeat that?  If they've the ISP's logs, down they own
you?  Or is it only effective if you combine it with logs from sites where I
provide valid personal information?