Re: \222 in Mutt email

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:08:50 -0800, Christopher S. Swingley wrote:

>     the intent to use them, and don\222t see much posted here on their

Octal 222 is not a valid character in ISO 8859-1, so the
"charset=iso-8859-1" specified is a lie. I vaguely recall Microsoft has an
"extended" (i.e. corrupted) Latin-1 code table which contains characters in
positions deliberately unused in ISO 8859-1 (so as to prevent control
characters being introduced in a stream through a path that is not 8-bit
clean). Quite likely, the message you received was in that codepage.

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would