Re: \222 in Mutt email

* Christopher S. Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm getting a few strange characters in some of my email messages
> read with mutt.  For example, here's a extract from a message I
> received today:

>     the intent to use them, and don\222t see much posted here on their
>
> Based on a thread I read in debian-devel concerning accents in foreign
> languages, I think my problem has something to do with my environment
> settings (LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL), but I can't seem to figure out
> what I need.
>
> I've got these language-like environment variables set:
>
>     LANG=en_US
>     LC_CTYPE=en_US
>
> but I've also tried setting LANGUAGE and LC_ALL to en_US, with
> no success in mutt.
>
> My /etc/locales.gen looks like this:
>
>     en_US ISO-8859-1
>
> I'm running an up to date sid system (synced this morning, although
> I've always had this problem with mutt, as far as I know).

Hey Christopher.

You're not alone on this one.  I've been flogging this carcass for a
few weeks now (as a background task).  Where did you get the
	LC_CTYPE=en_US
bit from?  I have the following in my .bashrc file:

LANGUAGE=en_UK
LANG=en_UK
export LANGUAGE LANG

Although I still get umlauts and other things coming up as octal escape
sequences, too :(

Maybe it should have been in .bash_profile, so it's there at login?  Or
did I get that wrong? --This level of mucking about is all new to me.
Does LC_ALL need to be defined and exported, too?

Cheers,
Mike Pfleger

There's seventy brilliant people on earth.
Where are they hiding?
"Yashar" -Cabaret Voltaire (off of "2x45")