Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 01:29:36AM -0400, Jason Boxman wrote:
> I have a 486 firewall myself.  My connectivity on other machines more or less
> stops when I do things like run dpkg or the gShield firewall script
> (iptables) loads on it.  Is this normal, or is it just my particular 486 33?

dpkg and friends aren't known to be particularly kind to lower end
processors (especially machines with little RAM).  My 486 is a pita to
upgrade (and it's a dx2/66 (remember when those were _fast_?))

RAM helps ... I saw a performance jump when I went from 8 MB to 16 MB,
and again when I went to 32 MB.  it's getting harder to find SIMMs
laying around though.

> (Oh, and I use kernel-package on the faster machine to compile kernels for
> the 486 -- Just so this is somewhat on topic.)

On topic?  This is debian-user! <duck>

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.