Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> Once you manage more than one machine, you will find reasons to prefer
> kernel-package :)

You mean, once I manage more than one machine that will run exactly the
same kernel. Right now, I have two Debian boxes, but one is a P3 running
Sid (kernel 2.4.9) and the other is an original Pentium (complete with
the FP divide bug) running Potato (2.2.19).

Sure, if you have a number of machines that will be well-served running
the same kernel, and you handle variations in hardware with loadable
modules, then a packaged kernel would be useful. With only a few
machines, I'd rather just build a custom kernel for each one, tuned for
exactly that machine's hardware, with loadable module support disabled.
This way, there are only two files to install for a kernel (vmlinuz and
System.map), so a kernel package has no significant advantage over doing
it all by hand.

Craig