Latest woody upgrade to causes fonts in X to disappear

I did an 'apt-get upgrade' to my testing system yesterday and got > 50
MB of upgraded packages(!)

This upgrade included version 4.10 of X. I notice now that on a large
number of applications, such as the Gnome desktop and applications
which have pop-up or drop-down menus, that the text has been replaced
by squares (in fact, this makes Gnome essentially unusable; switching
to kde restored much of the functionality).  I assume this means that a
particular font got messed up by the upgrade, but I really don't know
where to look.  Has anyone else seen this (and found a solution)?

Bob