Re: Unidentified subject!

Jack Grigg wrote:

Dear Debian support,
I have subscribed with mail address "jgrigg@bigfoot.com" (but the return address for this email is also valid)

I'm installing release 2.2 r2
and I'm having trouble getting my mouse to work in the X windows system. It is a microsoft mouse, connected to the COM1 serial port. I have editted the "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file with the "microsoft" protocol , and port "/dev/ttys0".
when I run startx it goes through the startup (svga16) the screen blanks, and then it halts with a message similar to "mouse error:could not open mouse (input/ouput)".
I have searched for detailed documentation, but cannot find any specifics.

I have had no mouse problems with more automatic dists such as mandrake and redhat, but I would like to get Debian up and running instead.

your support would be much appreciated
thanks

p.s (im new to linux) *Jack Grigg*

Dear Jack,

Try to proceed as follows:

1. Have your mouse set up in text mode if not already done. I.e. having the 'gpm' package installed and configured. This will give you a mouse to use in text mode. You can use the command 'gpmconfig' at any time thereafter to modify or correct your settings. 2. Install the 'xf86setup' package on your system. You have to have the 'xserver-vga16' package installed either to then get the 'XF86Setup' program running in text mode. You do not necessarily have to choose for the xserver-vga16 to be the default during package configuration, if you already have configured an xserver appropriate to your video card, but you can change your settings during the run of XF86Setup at any case. 3. Run 'XF86Setup' from the command line in text mode as root. Follow the instructions given closely. Try to choose /dev/gpmdata as your Mouse Device. This should leave you with a mouse to be used in both, text and graphics mode. Try other mouse protocols besides the brand of your mouse if it doesn't seem to work out. Avoid fumbling about though whilst configuring your mouse, this could well hang up your system. This is not to mean you should fumble about thereafter ;-) .
  4. Stick to Debian - great stuff!
I am probably almost as new to Linux as you are, so I won't be able to give you much technical explanation. That's just how it works out on my system nicely, and I love it.
I hope this helps.

Helmut