Unidentified subject!

Bcc:
Subject: Re: CPU Overclocking & Kernel compile

dman saw fit to inform me that:
>On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 03:22:32PM +0000, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:
>| Hi Listers,
>|
>| What are the issues involved in compiling a kernel on a machine with CPU
>| overclocked ?
>|
>| Yesterday I tried to compile 2.4.9 kernel on a celerone machine 466MHZ
>| which was overclocked to 550MHZ. The motherboard is ASUS P3C2000.
>|
>| During kernel compilation the machine is either rebooting in between or it
>| is giving segmentation fault.
>
>I notice with my machine (not overclocked, BTW) that kernel
>compilation is a CPU-bound process.  It really works the CPU at the
>max for several minutes.  If you are overclocking your CPU then
>building a kernel, I would not be surprised if it generated excessive
>heat or if it lost/corrupted data because it doesn't have enough time
>in a cycle to properly transfer it.  I would recommend not
>overclocking the machine or do your compilation on a different
>machine.

This is at one of my clients place. He has got an athlon machine. Are there
any issues in compiling the kernel on a different machine with a different
processor ? Now I am thinking of compiling the kernel for this Celerone
machine on the Athlon machine. I will set the parameters for kernel as per
the celerone machine. Will this create any problems ?

What is the best way to compile kernel like this ?

After compiling the kernel on Athlon I am planning to copy this kernel to
the celerone machine along with the modules /lib/modules/2.4.9 !!!
Is this OK ?

Thanks for the help.

--
Rajesh