Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

Eric G. Miller wrote:

> >     but this practice is strongly deprecated.
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 			   Hell does that mean?
>
> Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...
>
>     dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
>     DEPRECIATE
>
> I "strongly mildly dissapprove" of that quoting convention! Huh?

Karsten is using the word as it is commonly used among computer
professionals. When some previously-common (or even not so common)
practice or standard is superseded and no longer recommended, it is said
to be "deprecated". One often sees a phrase such as "strongly deprecated"
in reference to something that is not merely no longer recommended, but
actively discouraged or considered a Very Bad Thing.

Craig