Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:10:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
[snip]
> From "Email Quotes" in the Jargon File:
>     http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html
>
>     Most netters view an inclusion as a promise that comment on it will
>     immediately follow. The preferred, conversational style looks like
>     this,
> 	 > relevant excerpt 1
> 	 response to excerpt
> 	 > relevant excerpt 2
> 	 response to excerpt
> 	 > relevant excerpt 3
> 	 response to excerpt
>
>     or for short messages like this:
> 	 > entire message
> 	 response to message
>
>     Thanks to poor design of some PC-based mail agents, one will
>     occasionally see the entire quoted message after the response, like
>     this
> 	 response to message
> 	 > entire message
>
>     but this practice is strongly deprecated.
			   Hell does that mean?

Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...

    dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
    DEPRECIATE

I "strongly mildly dissapprove" of that quoting convention! Huh?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>